May 03, 2012

DIY Burlap Table Runner

When decorating, I love to incorporate as many natural elements as possible. For any special occasion, or just because, my number one go-to choice is flowers. As these can get expensive fairly quickly, even if you pick them up at the grocery store, I have been looking at additional ways in which to bring the outdoors in. One great way to do this is by using burlap. It's inexpensive, can be used in a variety of different ways, and provides a textured, natural element to any decor scheme.

Before: A Pile of Burlap
I chose to tackle the task of creating a burlap table runner for my daughter's Baptism. Since I'm all thumbs when it comes to sewing, and I was running low on time, I came up with an easy and quick DIY method.

1) Take your table's measurements to determine the amount of burlap you need.
Runners are generally 14" wide and hang over the side of the table approximately 6-8" on each side. Since I chose to tie the ends of my runner with twine, I left 14" hanging over each side of my table.

2) Cut the burlap according to your measurements.
Knowing that burlap frays once cut, I did give myself about half an inch of wiggle room to play with.

3) Wash the burlap runner.
As you will notice, burlap has a very "natural" odour which you probably don't want mixing with the food you are planning to serve. I used the delicate cycle on my washing machine with scent-free laundry detergent. A word of caution: do not put anything else in the washer with the burlap. If you do, you will be trying to pick off little pieces of burlap from your other items for weeks to come!

4) Hang your burlap runner to dry.
While the runner was still damp, I sprayed it with Febreze to remove more of the odour.

5) Iron the runner.
The iron will work best at the highest setting. Make sure to use a clean dish towel between the iron and the burlap to protect the runner.

I liked how the edges of the burlap were a bit frayed so I left it as is. If you are looking for a bit more of a formal look, you can use an iron-on hem tape (such as "Stitch Witchery") to give your edges a more polished and straight look.


After: Shabby Chic Burlap Table Runner

6) Place on your table.
It's that simple! You can tie the ends of your runner with twine if you wish, or you can leave them hanging. It's all up to the look you are going for.



Incorporating burlap into your decor is becoming very popular with weddings and showers, but don't let that stop you from using it for everyday decorating as well. Table linens can be quite expensive, especially if you want to change them out season to season.



Besides table runners, there are other ways in which you can incorporate burlap into your event's decor. Chair sashes, napkin rings, wine bags, and banners are just a few examples. Check out these great inspirational photos below.

Photo Source: AKA Design
Photo Source: funkyshique Etsy Store

Photo Source: The Sweetest Occasion

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails