December 01, 2014

Baking Up a Storm - Chocolate Zucchini Bread

As a part of my mission to get my kids to eat more vegetables, I thought it would be a super stealthy idea to incorporate them into my baking. What child could resist chocolate cake (insert dash of zucchini) I thought? Well my daughter can.

True to form, my son devoured his slice and wanted more. My daughter on the other hand, took a couple of nibbles and then told me that she didn't want her cake anymore. I have heard many stories about picky eaters...but I am in disbelief that she could taste the "zucchini difference."

Anyways, the recipe was a success with the rest of the family and our friends' four children so I'm not going to let my picky eater stop me from passing this along. Best of luck with your own super stealthy baking mission!


Chocolate Zucchini Bread
(adapted from Make and Takes)

Ingredients:
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 cup sesame seed oil
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups finely grated zucchini
  • 1 tablespoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
Finely Grated Zucchini

Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 350o F.
  2. Grease 2 9x5 loaf pans.
  3. Wash your zucchini and cut off the ends (you will need around 2 zucchini). For the zucchini to dissolve into the chocolate bread, use a fine grater.
  4. In a large bowl, whisk together the 3 eggs, sesame seed oil, brown sugar and vanilla until thoroughly mixed.
  5. Stir in the grated zucchini.
  6. Mix in the cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
  7. Fold in the flour and cocoa powder in 3 batches, mixing well until the batter is uniform.
  8. Last (and most important!) ingredient - stir in the chocolate chips.
  9. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans and bake for 50-60 minutes. Don't forget to use the toothpick test.

Let the loaves cool for 10-15 minutes before removing them from the pans. Enjoy!


Photography Sources: Simply Sophisticated

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails